BOWLING GREEN, Ky. — The WKU women’s basketball team will continue its Texas road trip at North Texas on Saturday. Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m. Game Info WKU (11-4, 4-0 C-USA) at North Texas (7-5, 1-1 C-USA) Saturday, Jan. 15 | 2 p.m. Denton, Texas | The Super […]
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. — The WKU women's basketball team will continue its Texas road trip at North Texas on Saturday. Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m.
About the Lady Toppers
- WKU is off to a 4-0 start in C-USA play after a 78-61 win at Rice on Thursday night. The Lady Toppers have now won six straight games and have won 10 of their last 11 games.
- Meral Abdelgawad notched her fourth 30-point game of the season with 33 points against the Owls. She is now tied for the fourth most 30-point games by a Lady Topper in a single season with Tashia Brown behind only Crystal Kelly (7 and 5) and Brenda Chapman (5).
- Mya Meredith continued her impressive rookie season with her fourth 20-point game of the season, scoring 20 against the Owls. The freshman also had eight rebounds, two blocks and a career high five steals.
- WKU's defensive pressure has shown up statistically. The Lady Toppers' 21.87 forced turnovers per game is the 17th most in the nation and their 11.4 steals per game is 23rd nationally.
- On the offensive side, WKU has dished out 236 assists on the season which leads C-USA and is 41st nationally. The Lady Toppers' 8.1 made 3-pointers per game is the second most in the league and 40th in the NCAA. WKU is averaging 72.9 points per game, which is the highest rate in the conference.
- Abdelgawad is WKU's leading scorer, averaging 20.4 points per game, which is second in C-USA. Her 306 total points on the season leads the conference and 11th in the country. Abdelgawad is also leading the Lady Toppers on the glass, pulling down 8.2 boards per game. She also has the second most steals in the league with 40.
- WKU has five true freshmen on the roster and the rookies have made an impact. The freshmen are scoring 54.3 percent of WKU's points through 14 games. Meredith is leading the way, averaging 13.7 points per game and Alexis Mead is behind her with a 10.2 points per game average.
- Abdelgawad is the lone senior and upperclassman for WKU. The Lady Toppers are the only team in Conference USA with only one upperclassman. All other teams have at least four.
- The 2021-22 season is the 60th for WKU women's basketball.
Series History vs. North Texas
- WKU and North Texas have played 28 times in series history. The Lady Toppers lead the series, 20-8.
- The two teams were scheduled to play in Bowling Green last season, but the games were canceled due to inclement weather in Denton.
- In 2019-20, the Lady Toppers fell to the Mean Green, 61-54 in Denton.
- The Mean Green dropped their first game in conference play to Middle Tennessee, 80-52, but bounced back on Thursday with a 64-54 win against North Texas.
- Jazion Jackson led the Mean Green against the Thundering Herd with 16 points. C-USA Preseason Co-Player of the Year, Quincy Noble, was close behind with 14 points
- Noble is leading North Texas in scoring on the year, putting up 15.6 points per game. Madison Townley is the team's leading rebounder, pulling down 7.9 boards per game.
- WKU will return to Bowling Green to host Florida Atlantic and FIU next week.
- The Lady Toppers will host the Owls on Thursday at 11 a.m. It will be WKU's Education Game with students from local schools making the trip to Diddle Arena to watch the Lady Toppers.
- WKU will host FIU on Saturday at 12 p.m. and will be honoring the 1992 National Runner-Up team.
How to Follow the Lady Toppers: For complete information on WKU Lady Topper Basketball, visit WKUSports.com or follow the program via social media @LadyTopperHoops on Twitter, @LadyTopperHoops on Instagram and on Facebook at facebook.com/WKUWomensBasketball.