Impact Austin, a philanthropic giving circle for women, and its Girls Giving Grants program for high school girls has given $203,800 to five Central Texas nonprofits. The 432 women who are a part of Impact Austin selected grants in two areas: education and community. The organization receiving the most […]
Impact Austin, a philanthropic giving circle for women, and its Girls Giving Grants program for high school girls has given $203,800 to five Central Texas nonprofits.
The 432 women who are a part of Impact Austin selected grants in two areas: education and community. The organization receiving the most votes in each area received 80% of the funds designated for that grant. The second-place organization received the other 20%. The money is funded by the $1,250 annual contribution members of Impact Austin give.
The 74 members of Girls Giving Grants selected one grantee. Each girl makes a $100 contribution.
The winners were announced Monday night.
For the community grant, the Austin Tenants Council will receive $78,500 to help fund the Central Texas Housing Stability Initiative. The grant will help the council expand the reach of the initiative to underserved areas of Bastrop, Hays and Williamson counties. It also will help the council create a team of community-based housing advocates to provide peer-to-peer education on housing rights for communities in Travis County at risk of losing their housing.
The Austin Diaper Bank will receive a $19,600 community grant to continue its work of serving 25,000 families in Central Texas with diapers, wipes and period products.
In education, Impact Austin is giving Mindspring Schools a $78,500 grant to focus on creating an intervention program for at-risk children and their parents. The grant will fund a therapist to create a parenting boot camp for families served by Mindspring Schools.
Ecology Action of Texas will receive a $19,600 education grant to continue its work reclaiming a landfill in the Montopolis neighborhood.
Girls Giving Grants selected the Center for Survivors of Torture for its $7,600 grant. The funds will be used to support the center's Healing Children Program, which has provided virtual counseling services to child victims of torture. It will serve about 200 refugees and asylum seekers with technology and internet services to be connected with therapy sessions and other Center for Survivors of Torture programs.
Impact Austin gives grants twice a year. The fall grant cycle begins June 30 with a workshop for nonprofits on how to apply for the health and well-being grant and the equity grant. Submissions will be accepted July 8-Aug. 3.
More information about upcoming grant opportunities can be found at impactaustin.org/grantmaking.
Impact Austin has given $7.65 million to local nonprofits since 2003. Girls Giving Grants has given $98,000 since 2006.
Grantmaking led by women: Women's Fund of Austin Community Foundation gives $400K in grants to 20 nonprofits
Local group with global impact: Legacy Collective giving circle finds new strength in disaster response, diversity
This article originally appeared on Austin American-Statesman: Impact Austin awards $200K in grants to 5 Central Texas nonprofits